MS Excel Test
About the test
The MS Excel online test assesses knowledge of organizing, calculating, analyzing, and visualizing data within a spreadsheet. This test requires downloading template files, performing required tasks within MS Excel (including the free web version), and uploading the file for automatic evaluation.
The assessment includes work-sample tasks such as:
- Writing formulas to perform calculations and look up data from a reference range.
- Organize and summarize large data sets with sorting, filtering, and pivot table tools.
- Creating and customizing charts to communicate data graphically.
A good candidate for any job requiring the use of spreadsheets should be able to use MS Excel to efficiently process data and create accurate reports.
Sample public questions
Your company sells products to customers in two cities, New York and San Francisco. You have been asked to calculate each product’s retail prices inclusive of sales taxes in these cities.
Specifically, you need to:
- Write formulas to calculate the retail prices, inclusive of sales tax, using the base price of each product.
- Make sure you reference cells A5 and B5 in your formulas.
Note: Do not use array formulas in your work.
Your task is to download the file ‘TaxInclusive-RawData.xlsx’ file and execute the request. When you have completed your work, save it in .xlsx format, then upload that file for evaluation.
Your company’s accounting department has asked you to give them a list of orders filtered by two periods of time:
- On 'Sheet1', they need orders spanning a two-month period starting from the 1st of July, 2018, and stretching through the 31st of August, 2018.
- On 'Sheet2', they need all orders for the period before the 1st of July, 2018, and all orders for the period after the 31st of August, 2018.
Your task is to download the file 'TimeFilters-RawData.xlsx’ file and execute this request. When you have completed your work, save it in .xlsx format, then upload that file for evaluation.
You have been asked to create a column chart and need to make it look the same as the chart provided in the image below.
Your task is to download the ‘SalesComparison-RawData.xlsx’ file and use your spreadsheet knowledge to create the chart shown here. You should attempt to recreate this chart using any columns colors you want, but be sure to:
- Create a clustered column chart.
- Set up the horizontal axis categories and remove horizontal gridlines to match the image.
- Adjust the vertical axis scale and remove vertical gridlines to match the image.
- Add a chart title, vertical axis title, and legend that match those displayed in the image above.
- Ensure your data series are in the correct order.
When you have completed the chart, save it in .xlsx format, then upload that file for evaluation.
Your company sells tea and coffee to a variety of customers through its sales representatives. The sales manager is preparing for the annual performance reviews in which he reviews the achievements of all the sales representatives as a basis for discussing bonus compensation and raises.
He asks you to prepare some pivot tables to help him prepare for these reviews:
For Pivot Table 1, you’ll show Total Sales by Employee per each Category.
For Pivot Table 2, you’ll show Total Sales by CompanyID and Category per each Employee.
Ensure that both pivot tables match the layout shown below.
Your task is to download the ‘PerformanceReviews-RawData.xlsx’ file and execute all parts of this request. When you have completed your work, save it in .xlsx format, then upload that file for evaluation.
Your company just introduced a new pricing policy. In order to further motivate customers to buy your products, your company will give discounts on each order based on the total price of the order.
Your boss needs you to:
- Use the data in the Discounts worksheet to build a lookup formula that calculates the applicable discount percentage according to each order amount. Add that formula to column D of the Orders worksheet.
- Write a formula that calculates the final order amount including the discount. Add that formula to column E of the Orders worksheet.
Note: Do not use any array formulas in your work.
Your task is to download the file ‘OrderDiscounts-RawData.xlsx’ file and execute all parts of this request. When you have completed your work, save it in .xlsx format, then upload that file for evaluation.
For companies: premium questions
Buy TestDome to access premium questions that can't be practiced.
Get money back if you find any premium question answered online.
12 more premium MS Excel questions
Order Display, Regional Sales, Large Orders, Aussie Freight, Hot Beverage Filters, Overdue Invoices, Region Code, Expense Management, Currency Conversion, Industry Sectors, Product Lookup, Five Year Sales.
Skills and topics tested
- MS Excel
- Data Filtering
- Data Management
- Data Sorting
- Data Labels
- Pie Chart
- Conditional Formulas
- Formulas and Functions
- INDEX MATCH
- Two-Dimensional Lookup
- Advanced Filter Tool
- Date Functions
- Exclusion Criteria
- Cell References
- Bar Chart
- Chart Axes
- Match Type
- Field Groups
- Pivot Tables
For job roles
- Account Manager
- Administrative Assistant
- Data Analyst
- Digital Marketing Specialist
- Financial Accountant
- Financial Analyst
- Financial Manager
- Management Accountant
- Project Manager
- Sales Manager
- Sales Person
- Staff Accountant
Sample candidate report
What others say
Simple, straight-forward technical testing
TestDome is simple, provides a reasonable (though not extensive) battery of tests to choose from, and doesn't take the candidate an inordinate amount of time. It also simulates working pressure with the time limits.
Jan Opperman, Grindrod Bank
Solve all your skill testing needs
150+ Pre-made tests
From web development and database administration to project management and customer support. See all pre-made tests.
Mix questions for different skills or even custom questions in one test. See an example.
How TestDome works
Choose a pre-made test
or create a custom test
Invite candidates via
email, URL, or your ATS
a test remotely
Sort candidates and
get individual reports